Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Living Haiti...for sure, for sure.

So, it's definitely almost 2am, and I'm definitely still awake. No, it's not because I'm not tired. It's not because I have anything pressing or earth shattering that I have to attend to. Nope. It all started with some pigs.

We have some pigs living on our back property. They will some day be food, but for right now, they are just pigs. They make weird noises. This is not something I am used to in my non-Haiti life. Pigs. The way the sound, coming through my window. That was the beginning of my animal extravaganza for the evening.

It was followed up later by "squirrels." At least that's what my friend Joanna calls them. Actually, it was a rat. Gertrude hollared to me in my room to close my door because she saw a mouse on the front porch tonight. We've been moving boxes around and re-sealing storerooms around here. Apparently we've upset the critters because this one "mouse" was living large and in charge. I closed my door and it wasn't until about 10 minutes later when I was trying to talk to my brother and sister-in-law on skype that I realized the "mouse," which was actually a rat, was in my room. I screamed. Like a little girl and jumped on my bed with my laptop in my hands. I called out for Gertrude, who is probably more afraid of rats than me, and I'm sure Jacob and Gretal were SUPER confused as to what was going on in Haiti to make me scream so loud. A lot of crazy ensued...which ended in me making two men crawl around on my floor to assure me that the rat was no longer in my room.

When gertrude and I were going to bed we realized the rat was in the bathroom...We trapped it and found a man that we work with to come and "take care of it." He didn't seem to be too entertained with our antics, but neither one of us wanted to sleep with the rats, and we also didn't want to do what we had to do to "take care of it."

So...now...I'm laying in bed trying not to be creeped out by the crazy pig noises, and the left over rat adrenaline. And then there are the roosters that have just started their crowing. ah.

I love living Haiti.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need Lucy there with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like someone is a city girl! The Lucmeister would take care of all those animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm not going to let my team know about your night and will only tell my brain that it will all be taken care of before we get there next week- right Rachel? :) ECH!
    Oh, but we did get your adorable "save the date" card? Just precious! A little in love you two are!! See you in a week!! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What no goats???! If anyone can roll with the punches of life (including animal life) it's you. You always amaze me. You are in my prayers. Kathy C.

    ReplyDelete